Making first contact with Quickr 8.5 for J2EE is a quite a big step for people administering Quickr for Domino.
You have to download at a minimum, 7 GB software files from PartnerWorld:
- CZHX4ML IBM Lotus Quickr 8.5 for WebSphere Portal Install (Setup) ML
- CZHX5ML IBM Lotus Quickr 8.5 for WebSphere Portal - WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment for Windows 32-bit (W-1) ML
- CZHX6ML IBM Lotus Quickr 8.5 for WebSphere Portal - DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition for Windows 32-bit (W-2) ML
- CZHY0ML IBM Lotus Quickr 8.5 for WebSphere Portal - WP 1 of 3 (A-3, IL-3, W-3, ZL-3) ML
- CZHY1ML IBM Lotus Quickr 8.5 for WebSphere Portal - WP 2 of 3 (A-4, IL-4, W-4, ZL-4) ML
- CZHY2ML IBM Lotus Quickr 8.5 for WebSphere Portal - WP 3 of 3 (A-5, IL-5, W-5, ZL-5) ML
My test environment, a vmware 2003 32 bits machine, with 2GB RAM and 12 GB HDD.
The installation process is quite straightforward, if you don't find any problem, but also very long, at least 4 hours ( each time you try ) in my test environment. Some snapshots had to be taken.
It installs several software pieces:
- Websphere Application server
- Websphere Portal
- DB2 9.5
And finally it works and you get a Quickr 8.5 environment.
But I had a bad time with an error "EJPIC0229E The DB2 installation step failed" that delayed me for at least two days. It appeared when DB2 was being installed. I was unable to find references to the problem as a newbie in DB2 installations. The db2setup.log file that should help to find the error reason was empty so I was a bit lost.
Finally, after having tried upgrading the O.S. to SP2 and installing and English language O.S. and ... I found that the problem was the path to the installer. It included blank spaces and that was the hidden reason to all the problems. Changing the paths let the installation process finish and get a Quickr 8.5 test environment.
A good lesson learnt the hard way.